Sunday, January 4, 2009

2009 - FO No 1


Hi there, welcome to my first post for 2009. I hope you all had a wonderful New Year's Eve. We had a very quiet one, and I really was ready for bed by about 10:00. I sat and knitted on my projects whilst watching the fireworks on the tv, and then went outside later on and watched some fireworks with the kids, Paul and my sister whilst trying to calm Jake the kelpie down. He really doesnt like them the poor baby. Tess the Jack Russell couldnt care less but barks anyway as if to state how much she can protect us, the great little guard dog that she is. Our New Year has been very quiet so far. Isabelle and I went to the movies today and saw Bedtime Stories. I think Bugsy is my favourite character in that movie. We have also been watching a few dvd's and catching up with a few friends too, which I am planning on doing quite a bit over the holidays. So ........ these socks
Pattern: Uptown Boot Socks by Jennifer L. Appleby
Book: Interweave Knits Favourite Socks
Size: Medium
Yarn: Cascade sock yarn, green (although more moss color than in the photo) 100gm skein
Started: August 2008 and finished today
I originally knit these socks for me but had a change of heart as I dont really like wearing socks even in winter all that much. My sister on the other hand loves handknit socks and if she can get my mum or I to knit her some then she is so happy. Anyway her birthday is on the 8th of January so they will make a perfect present for her. I also bought her a jelly roll of beautiful fabrics too so I hope she enjoys them both. Isabelle is busy at the moment drawing her birthday card. I think this year will be the year of handmade presents (oh I wish). Now to find a perfect pattern for Lachlan's pair. I am determined to knit a few of those sock skeins this year. See you next time.

17 comments:

Manoute said...

Happy New Year! Happy Knitting!
Beautiful, I love that green.

Katherine said...

Beautiful socks! I didn't know that Cascade had a sock yarn - do you like it? I'm hoping 2009 will be the year of handmade gifts too, but we'll see if I can pull it off. ; )

Gillian said...

A finished project already! They look quite lovely and I'm sure your sister will love them.
Yes, I still use your knitting bag and it has a hat (WIP) in it at the moment.
Cheers Gillian

Unknown said...

beautiful!
I'm going to make way more socks this year too. Or at least that's what I plan to do :)

Charity said...

Very nicely done! :o)

Claudia Bugh said...

Wonderful socks! She will really enjoy them ~ I love the cables running all the way down.

Great idea to make all your gifts this year. That makes them so much more special.

LBA said...

Happy New Year ! :)

PlumStitches said...

gorgeous - I can't get over how fast you knit! I need some pointers on speed :-)

Michele Saunders said...

Happy New Year! The socks are lovely! I am sure your sister will love them.

Anonymous said...

I cast on for those socks two days ago! You have great taste in patterns :D

amanda j said...

I was looking at that pattern too! I think there are too many cables for me.

Quiet New Years sound like the thing to be doing right now!

Oiyi said...

Happy New Year! I enjoyed a quiet New Year, too, which I think is the best.

I can't wait to see what you will be knitting this year. You have knit an impressive amount in 2008.

Senora Fuerte said...

Pretty socks!

This is my first visit to your blog, and I am enjoying it. I'll be back. :)

Natalie

Wanderingcatstudio said...

The socks look lovely! I think I'm going to make everyone socks for Christmas this year.. no more sweaters! Phew!

Anonymous said...

Love the socks they are so pretty.

I have moods when it comes to socks. Doesnt help that most socks I make seem to be for either big footed women or men!! lol

I want to make a few more for kids this year. they are so much quicker and easier.

Anonymous said...

Love those socks.

I have found socks make great pressies. Though is seems most socks I make are for large womens feet or men! sigh

I am hoping to make a few pair of kids socks this year. They are so much quicker and easier..lol

Anonymous said...

Beautiful socks! Happy New Year to you!